The Art of Well-Being is a three seminar, year-long programme for those wanting to renew their well-spring for life so they can be more connected and available to the demands of home and work. Its purpose is to provide understandings and experiences that nourish and enliven at a soul level, supporting individual participants to know their world in fresh and meaningful ways. The programme draws on contemporary, holistic thinking that together offer perspectives that explore what it is to be human. In particular we draw on contemporary applications of the work and understandings of Anthroposophy inspired by Rudolf Steiner.
We open up the world of Art, recognising it as the language of the soul as we progressively work with colour, form, line, movement and language to deepen our ways of connecting and expressing our rich world within. As well, we discover the power and potential in our own life stories (biography work) – reading the rich tapestries that each of our lives have woven.
The ‘Art of Well-Being’ is a part-time programme of three 5-day seminars which spans the calendar year.
The study journey allows students over the course of the programme to:
- Explore the theme ‘Meet yourself, Know yourself, Be yourself’ as a metaphor for well-being, by drawing on contemporary holistic understandings of the human being
- Open up the nature and source of ‘well-being’ and how we can renew our own strength and resilience for life
- Recognise and respect the power and potential we each have as adult learners, giving time and space for this practice
- Pose the question, and explore together ‘What does it mean to be truly human?’
- Learn and practice the language of the soul as we come back to our individual centres and feel nourished through art, colour, mindfulness, story, nursing therapies, movement, artful conversation, reflection and life stories
- Reflect on how these new and deeper understandings might inform a re-enlivened approach to life and relationships, both at home and at work
- Challenge ourselves to change so that we can be more responsive and effective as we go about life
- Develop observation skills as a pathway to insightfulness
- Work with life story using themes and windows into your own biography to enhance understanding of the human journey
- Understand the path of adult learning and its invitation to deepen our capacity to observe and to be present.
Each seminar has its own focus, as follows:
Seminar One: August 19-24 2020
- Working with the gesture of the lemniscate, the journey from inner to outer and back again, through a central crossing point
- Understanding the sources of health through an introduction to Salutogenesis
- Meeting myself and the world through the senses, with a focus on four body orientation senses
- Exploring our very human capacities of wonder, compassion and conscience
- Recognising myself as an Integrated Human Being with dimensions of Body, Soul and Spirit.
Seminar Two: November 4-9 2020
- Working with the gesture of the labyrinth, the journey from periphery to centre and back again, with all its unexpected turns and meeting points
- Coming to my centre and strengthening my own sense of life through the practice of mindfulness, meditation and contemplative enquiry
- Meeting myself and the world through the senses, with a focus on four soul senses that let me take in the world
- Deepening my understanding of the sources of health through a further exploration of Salutogenesis focusing on nutrition for body, soul and spirit
- Building on my understanding of myself as an Integrated Human Being by exploring my own dimensions of body, life, soul and individuality
- Working with temperaments as a means of understanding myself and others.
Seminar Three: February 10-15 2021
- Working with the gesture of the mandala, the journey from above to below, with centre and periphery, in harmony and balance
- Meeting myself and the world through the senses, with a focus on four senses that let me encounter others and be in service to the world
- Working with a picture of soul types as a means of understanding myself and others
- Deepening my understanding of the sources of health through a further exploration of Salutogenesis, focusing on illness as a path to wellness
- Opening the possibility of connection to our spiritual companions
- Exploring the power of life story in others as a source of well-being and strength
- Harvesting Final Reflections from the learning journey
The ‘Art of Well-Being’ is designed for:
- busy professionals who want to re-connect with their own inner source of well-ness and creativity, as a basis for professional renewal and nourishment
- professional care-givers in any health field needing fresh tools and approaches to revitalise their work
- busy parents who want to develop their ability to be centered and insightful in their parenting
- those who recognise the dimension of spirit in their own life – in whatever shape that takes – and who seek to honour that aspect of themselves.
Seminar One: Wednesday 19 August – Monday 24 August
Seminar Two: Wed 4 November – Monday 9 August
Seminar Three: Wed 10 February – Monday 15 February 2021.
Cost: $900 per seminar. The Crystal Bridge loan fund makes interest free loans available to students enrolled in Signature Courses at Taruna.
Minimum numbers are necessary for the course to go ahead.
Applicants for this programme should:
- possess a maturity gained through some years of adult life experience;
- have the energy, health and enthusiasm to complete a part-time, yet intense year of study;
- display a good standard of written and conversational English.
“The week really resonated well, it was exactly what is needed for me right now. Thank you for a wonderful week”.
“Really have had insight and observation into myself”.
“This course gave me an opportunity to explore my life so far, to understand what has shaped me, and to enable me to make informed choices that I will better understand going forward. I came away with some wonderful self-reflection, lots of knowledge about life-cycles and the various life-stages and what I might expect next – much better investment than a week on a beach”.
Creative response to the Art of Well-being 2019 by Arlene C.:
Each colour wants to stand on its own
Like in the box of pastels.
They are all beautiful to look at like that, but,
When you put two colours together on a page
Something magical happens.
New tones, nuances, feelings arise
That weren’t seen or felt when they stood separate.
The magic and beauty of all the colours
Comes alive when they work together.
Each human being has a colour,
Each is beautiful and unique.
And when human beings work together,
Then magic happens in communities, too.