Holistic education; and Learning as a life journey
Learning at Taruna College has two foundational principles. The first being a holistic approach, meaning students are engaged in head, heart and hands. The second is that learning is part of the adult life journey.
The following values inform every Taruna course:
- Student diversity in all its facets is a strength that underpins everything we do at Taruna.
- Study at Taruna enables students to:
- Understand and engage with their field of study in a holistic way.
- Develop a deep reflective understanding of the creative human being; and
- Shape their own life journey through reflective practice.
- All members of the Taruna community – students and staff – show mutual respect, are curious, have integrity, act professionally, care for each other, and are prepared to challenge each other.
- Learning at Taruna is intellectual, experiential, spiritual and emotional.
- Programmes offered by Taruna are informed by Rudolf Steiner’s image of the human being and are grounded in, and respond to, a bicultural and multicultural Aotearoa/New Zealand.
- Teaching at Taruna facilitates learning, and is inclusive, strength-based, and inspires and challenges students.
- Every teacher at Taruna knows and values each learner as a whole person; is responsive to the holistic needs and goals of the students; knows their field of study and how to teach this; and is a lifelong learner.
- Enrolment guidance at Taruna is well-informed and appropriately tailored to the individual’s needs and goals.
- There is appropriate pastoral support for students at Taruna.
- Every programme at Taruna has rhythm and structure; has clear aspirational goals which are aligned with contemporary professional practice; is designed to enable teaching and learning as defined above; and empowers students to explore further pathways.
- Taruna college as an organisation supports the above through;
- Visionary and inspiring leadership;
- Adequate and contemporary resources;
- Effective administrative support; and
- Nurturing a culture of learning for all.